Friday, September 16, 2011

Virtual Assisting. Or, What to Offer?

Not entirely sure how to go about becoming a virtual assistant. There's a lot of information out there - if I'm to succeed, I really want to do it right! It's definitely not a get-money-in-quickly sort of thing. Of course, I don't think there is anything out there that is. Maybe if you're a scammer. Or a Nigerian Prince. Yes, that was sarcasm. Sorry, but that font is missing from my font list. That was sarcasm too.

My largest issue is what to offer. If someone needs an office assistant, well, that's what I do. I'm good at it. But doing it remotely is what's throwing me off. I don't know how to offer basic office skills remotely. I guess filing could be done via a scanner - make the files search-able. Typing and answering email? Don't most people do that themselves? Hmmm, what about going through email & deleting the junk mail? Setting up parameters so that mail gets filed into folders. Don't people do that themselves though? Especially if they are at all technical? Maybe not. Well, see? There's like three things that I can do!

Let's see. Typing reports, general proof-reading (boy is THAT one needed). NOT answering phones. Sorry, no. Ok, not sorry. It's my business, and if I don't want to, I don't have to! Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable. Neither are my favorite, but both are definitely doable. Maybe especially remotely. Travel arrangements? Don't know much about them. Transcription? I think it's harder than I think it is! I'm a pretty decent listener, so maybe not.

How about minor tech support for Mom & Dad. Grandma? Things that drive you crazy because they always ask. This is what you do when you move the start bar from the bottom of the screen. (Yes, it happens). Lessons on basic email. How to attach a picture. Hmmm, I think I'm seeing future blog posts here.... What else do non-computer people need? Locking down their wi-fi? Hmm, that one is a bit more advanced. So, how to forward an email. How to forward an attachment. Shortcuts. How to set a home page. How to listen to the radio/music on the internet. Basics. How to make sure a website is secure. Using a credit card on a web page. Basic internet security - free is always good. Security updates and maybe even remote log-ins to do them. How to send a basic email that says "I'm thinking of you" instead of being forwarded everything that comes over their email. Oh, wouldn't that be wonderful! How to not click on banners and spam sites.

Brainstorming is fun! Makes me feel better about the whole thing. Some things are feasible, some not. And, actually, I really like brainstorming. I wonder if that's something that could translate...



No comments:

Post a Comment